THE D&I CHAMPIONS CERTIFICATE SERIES LEVEL I COURSE IS CLOSED.
We will be offering this course again in order to fully accommodate the demand, so please contact us [email protected] if you would like to be placed on the wait list for this course or would like to receive early information about the next time this course is offered.
D&I CHAMPIONS CERTIFICATE SERIES
Inclusion Strategy and Programming in Law Firms
$2750 Per Level or $7500 for Full Certificate Series
Registration Deadline is 02/27/2020 | REGISTER HERE
Level 1: March 16 and March 17, 2020 in Chicago
Level 2: September 8 and September 9, 2020 in Chicago
Level 3: March 16 and March 17, 2021 in Chicago
The D&I Champions Certificate Series: Inclusion Strategy and Programming in Law Firms is a series of carefully curated programming and coaching that will substantially enhance any diversity and inclusion practitioner or leader in law firms today. The programming is comprised of three levels of course curriculum (1.5 days in-person seminar for each level) and monthly group coaching between workshops totaling 40 hours of direct and supplemental training. Attending all 3 in-person course seminars and a significant percentage of the group coaching sessions is required to receive the D&I Champion Certificate from the Nextions Academy. (You can attend individual seminars without committing to the overall series.)
Who are the facilitators/instructors?
The instructors for the D&I Champions Certificate Series from the Nextions Academy are leading researchers and consultants who work with law firms across the country on a daily basis to create real change in DEI. You can learn more about your instructors here.
What materials are provided in this course?
The Level 1 seminar will offer several handouts, collected in a DEI Leaders’ Toolkit, as well as four books authored by Nextions Academy instructors – (Smarter Than a Lie: Winning Against Liars Without Losing Your Mind, One Size Never Fits All: Business Development Strategies Tailored for Women (And Most Men), The Next IQ: The Next Level of Intelligence for 21st Century Leaders, and Going All In on Diversity and Inclusion: The Law Firm Leader’s Playbook). The books and handouts include many new, ground-breaking tools designed to help participants diagnose problem areas in their law firms and implement new solutions.
Who would benefit the most from participating?
Diversity, equity, and inclusion practitioners at all levels in law firms would benefit greatly from attaining this certificate. This series would also be useful for professionals in law firms who are or have recently transitioned into professional roles that deal with diversity, equity, and inclusion.
How does this course differ from other diversity-related certificate courses?
This course is tailored to the specific needs and cultures of law firms and is taught by professionals with extensive experience working with law firms on diversity and inclusion efforts. There is no other comprehensive course of this kind available for people working with lawyers and professional staff on D&I in a law firm setting.
Additionally, other D&I certificate courses (e.g. Georgetown and Cornell) simply offer education. The Nextions Academy takes it to the next level by putting education into practice. All participants will have the option of engaging with their peers in learning communities in between classes. Members of each cohort will collaborate by video conference on a monthly basis between workshops to discuss assignments designed to put learning into action, and collectively brainstorm solutions to roadblocks experienced by cohort members. It is only when you put learning into action that you can make real change happen.
D&I Champions Certificate Series: Inclusion Strategy and Programming in Law Firms Level I (10 hours | 1.5 days) Upon completion of the first level of this curriculum, you will build your own competencies and skillsets in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in law firm settings as well as know how to develop and carry out a strategic DEI initiative in your firm designed to affect measurable change. You will also participate in collective coaching activities with law firm peers to implement what you have learned individually and in your firm. This includes instructor-facilitated discussions with others in the D&I Champions Certificate Series to deepen personal learning and cultivate additional strategies for your change initiative. Top Learning Objectives for Level 1:
- communicate how inclusion is a key component in law firm success and evaluate which research-based strategies are applicable in understanding inclusion in your firm and draft a case statement for DEI,
- understand how unconscious biases are formed and examine experiences that may have contributed to your own implicit biases,
- differentiate various unconscious cognitive biases, analyze how these biases show up in your thoughts and behaviors, and explore methods for interrupting biases and create an action plan to interrupt and/or navigate related barriers in law firms,
- understand the framework of a 21st Century diversity and inclusiveness initiative in law firms and evaluate which of the six components of an inclusive firm exist in your organization,
- benchmark leaders’ competencies in diversity and inclusion and evaluate how leaders in your firm can improve and lead on DEI,
- create an individual action plan to advance your own inclusive leadership competencies..
- create a DEI competencies model to guide and hold everyone in your firm accountable in their daily behaviors and create “process” nudges that embed bias interrupting behaviors into structural components of the firm,
- create a preliminary strategic plan to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in your firm.
D&I Champions Certificate Series: Inclusion Strategy and Programming in Law Firms Level II (10 hours | 1.5 days) Building upon the foundational DEI tools in Level I, Level II of this series will apply the tools more specifically to the following areas in law firms: Inclusive Recruiting, Interviewing & Hiring Practices; Inclusive Work Allocation & Staffing Practices; Inclusive Feedback & Evaluation Practices; and Inclusive Mentoring & Sponsorship Practices. You will learn how to apply general DEI and unconscious bias interruption strategies to the these specific areas and create specific strategies for inclusion in these areas for your firm. The collective coaching activities following this session will focus on deepening your understanding and implementation of these practices in your firm. Top Learning Objectives for Level II:
- understand how DEI principles, unconscious biases, and other concepts related to inclusion affect law firm recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of people from underrepresented groups,
- understand how DEI principles, unconscious biases, and other concepts can be interrupted individually and systemically in law firm recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of people from underrepresented groups,
- understand how DEI principles, unconscious biases, and other concepts related to inclusion affect law firm work allocation and staffing practices and how to make these processes more inclusive in order to retain people from underrepresented groups,
- understand how DEI principles, unconscious biases, and other concepts related to inclusion affect law firm feedback and evaluation practices and how to make these processes more inclusive in order to retain and advance people from underrepresented groups,
- understand how DEI principles, unconscious biases, and other concepts related to inclusion affect law firm mentoring and sponsorship of people from underrepresented groups and how to make these processes more inclusive in order to retain and advance people from underrepresented groups,
- understand how all of the above are intertwined and impact your firm’s overall diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in the short and long terms.
D&I Champions Certificate Series: Inclusion Strategy and Programming in Law Firms Level III (10 hours | 1.5 days) Level III of this series leverages the information and insights from Level I and Level II to focus more directly on how to create sustainable diversity, equity and inclusion in law firms through active engagement of leaders, focused work of committees, systems and processes integrated with inclusive nudges, and full synthesis of all of the above through the work of DEI practitioner(s) in the firm. Top Learning Objectives for Level III:
- understand how to create measurable metrics in a sustainable way,
- understand how to communicate and work with external constituents like clients to advance collaborative DEI efforts,
- understand how the various roles, structures, and systems in law firms work together to create sustainable diversity, equity and inclusion in law firms,
- understand how to engage firm leadership in a sustainable and active way,
- understand how to facilitate committee meetings and other activities to sustain forward momentum on your firm’s DEI efforts,
- understand how to iterate efforts through experimentation and measurement to sustain success.